Sharing a home with other people often means that there’s going to be a lot of activity going on. Depending on the size and space of your home, this can make it difficult to find a quiet spot for yourself when the time comes for focus.
This becomes especially difficult in open-concept homes or smaller homes that lack the space needed for private spaces.
If you’re in a rush check out our favorite room dividers below:
Fortunately, there are lots of home soundproofing products out there that aim to help you control the level of sound inside your home.
However, choosing the right products can be difficult since not all products explicitly market themselves as sound dampening.
Today we’re going to take a look at our picks for some of the best soundproof room dividers and see if they’re worth checking out.
Top 10 Soundproof Room Dividers:
Choosing a proper room divider might be difficult if you aren’t familiar with your options.
To make it even harder, manufacturers don’t always make it a point to report on their room divider’s sound dampening properties.
This guide summarizes our picks for the top 10 soundproof room dividers that actually work.
1. RoomDividersNow Premium Ceiling Track Room Divider Kit
- PREMIUM HEAVYWEIGHT ROOM DIVIDER SOLUTIONS – Attractive, perfect for privacy, & easy to set up
- FIX A PROBLEM SPACE – Shared bedroom, apartment, storage, studio, dorm, loft, workspace, etc.
- CREATE PRIVACY IN MINUTES - Our Premium Heavyweight Room Divider Curtains significantly reduce light to maximize privacy
When looking at a soundproof room divider, material quality and convenience should be your number one priority. Our first entry on this list is nothing fancy, but takes these two things and puts them at its forefront.
RoomDividersNow is a US-based company that produces high-quality and heavyweight polyester divider curtains that offer you top-notch noise reduction.
These divider curtains come with a convenient installation kit that gives you everything you need to set them up right away.
These divider curtains offer you a wide range of color and size options, meaning you will definitely find one that perfectly fits your intended room’s size and aesthetic.
They might not look too fancy (although they do have fancier print designs if you wish) but RoomDividersNow offers you everything you would want in a no-nonsense package.
2. Quiet Quilt 2 Sided Barrier Blanket
The Quiet Quilt 2 sided barrier blanket is packed with 1lb of mass-loaded vinyl which is sandwiched between a quilted vinyl absorber that helps absorb noise coming from either side of the enclosure or partition.
It both blocks and absorbs sounds and makes it easy to partition rooms as well as soundproof interior walls.
Simply use it as you would a soundproof curtain or you can use hooks to hang it from the ceiling to create a floating partition.
3. RYB Home Gray Room Divider Screen
- WELL MADE: Sold as 1 pack. Sizes: 15 ft Wide x 8 ft Long ( W 180 x L 96 inch). 16 Metal Silver Grommets on the top with inner diameter 1.6"
- AMAZING MATERIAL: 100% high-quality durable polyester and super soft triple woven fabric, which add a wonderful touch and ensure the appropriate privacy.
- GOOD PERFORMANCE - Split your room harmoniously, and create a personal space. Block the light and insulate summer heat and winter chill, which maximum save you energy budget. Widely used in the patio...
This next option is uniquely marketed because its manufacturer specifically claims that it has soundproofing properties.
RYB Home’s room divider curtain is a 100% polyester curtain that promises to insulate your room from both heat and sound, which makes it perfect for blocking doors or windows.
With a minimalist design, these divider curtains are extremely versatile. They can easily be installed in any home office space, kitchen or even to divide up and help soundproof an open plan office to create a quiet space that is uniquely yours. It comes with the same machine-washable material on both sides which means maintaining it won’t be too difficult for you in the long run.
All in all, RYB Home’s take on the soundproof room divider curtain is simple and effective. They use high-quality materials and offer their customers a lot of different size options. You really can’t go wrong with this solid option.
4. Nicetown Thermal Insulated 100% Blackout Curtains
- Ready Made: 2 panels per package. Each Classic Lined Curtain measures 52" wide x 108" long (Total width is 104"). The unique design of the silver grommet (1.6 inch inner diameter) creates casual...
- Blackout Effect: The real blackout curtains on the market. Sew in black liner backing makes the drapes thick enough to completely keep out the sunlight and uv ray. The benefit is to offer you a real...
- Noise Reducing: Heavyweight Blackout Lined Curtain Panels can be a good sense of drape, making the window completely closed, to cut noise down. The effect of absorbing sound is 2 times higher than the...
Our next option on this list is not typically marketed as a room divider, but it can still function as one and actually has some advantages in certain situations. Nicetown’s thermal insulated blackout drapes offer you a soundproof room divider that specializes in specifically blocking out sound and heat from one side.
These curtains have a thick black material lining one side of its entire length. This black material is denser than the polyester that makes up the majority of its construction to allow it to insulate sound and heat much better than some of the other options on this list.
While this asymmetrical dual-material construction might not be for everyone, Nicetown’s thermal insulated blackout curtains offer you the ability to choose which side of your dividers will be focused on insulation and light absorption. This makes it perfect for rooms and setups that require less noise, light, and heat entering the room from the outside.
5. Deconovo Privacy Room Divider
- PACKAGE INFORMATION: 1 Room divider curtain panel measuring 10ft wide by 8ft tall (120 inch wide by 108 inch tall). Each panel has 12 silver grommets (inner diameter: 1.6 Inch).
- LIGHT BLOCKING: With its triple-weave techonoly, this room dividers could obstruct the sunlights from getting into the room at any time (darker color works better). It is perfect for people sleep...
- NOISE REDUCTION: Our soft room dividing curtains are not see-through once fully closed. With its heavy weight,this room separator curtains could also block the noise from busy street or noisy...
This next option by Deconovo doesn’t seem all that different from your other options. While this is mostly true, what it does offer you is comparable quality at a much more affordable price.
These Deconovo triple weave thermal insulated divider curtains help you create a space with less noise pollution leaking in. They are soft to the touch and come with an inner layer of high-density black yarn for maximum insulation.
If you’re still on the fence about investing in a quality soundproof curtain for a room divider, this might be a good place to start. The affordable price of this curtain paired with its decent quality should be enough to satisfy anyone looking for a way to reduce noise and separate their home spaces from each other.
6. Warm Home Designs Textured Room Divider Curtains
- ✅ CHEAPEST AND MOST CONVENIENT WAY TO SEPARATE THE ROOM - Own a Home with Giant Windows or Need a Way to Break Up Large Space? Our Extra Long, Extra Large Beige Taupe Wall to Wall Curtains...
- ✅ SLEEP BETTER DAY or NIGHT - Warm Home Designs Insulated Thermal Blackout Wall Divider Curtains are Tested to Block at Least 97% of All Sun's Light. Our 9 Feet Long Room Separating Divider...
- ✅ MAKE YOUR HOME MORE COMFORTABLE and SAVE $$$ ON UTILITIES BILLS - Thermal Drapes Block Heat During Summer and Cold Wind From Drafty Windows During Winter to Keep Room Temperature Comfortable...
If style and aesthetics are more of your priority, then these divider curtains from Warm Home Designs offer you a stylish option with decent noise reduction capabilities.
These thermally insulated room dividers help you block out noise, light, and heat while looking slightly more elegant than some of the other options on this list thanks to their embossed design.
Like the other options on this list, these divider curtains also come with insulating properties thanks to their 100% polyester construction. However, unlike the other options, these divider curtains come in a pair. This allows you to choose if you want a single-panel or double-panel installation.
Overall, these Warm Home Designs textured room divider curtains offer you a more unique option to insulate your home. Their great build quality and textured designs provide you with some aesthetic options to create a more unique soundproofed space.
7. Moondream Sound Insulation Curtain
- Room Divider Curtain with Sound-Dampening, Thermal-Insulating and Blackout Properties
- Sound Reduction by up to 9dB* on average, the Curtain Acts as an Acoustic Wall to Absorp the Sounds
- Block Out 100% of the Light and UV Anytime of the Day. You Can Not See Through, Body Shape Hidden Behind It
Our number 6 product on this list is an insulation curtain by Moondream that is explicitly marketed to help reduce noise. This divider curtain incorporates a layer of blackout fabric and a layer of thermal insulation lining underneath a soft layer of thick cotton. These materials work together to present you with a super soft room divider that still gets the job done!
What makes this product unique is the fact that it comes with scientific evidence to back their claims of noise reduction. Depending on the variant you choose, Moondream claims that using their products will offer 7-9 decibels of sound insulation. Their products were supposedly tested in independent laboratories in order to come up with this metric.
All that said, Moondream’s insulation curtains present you with a solid noise reducing option that comes backed with laboratory testing. They may not look the flashiest, but you can expect them to perform just as well (if not better) than some of the options on this list.
8. Rose Home Fashion Privacy Room Divider Curtain
We take a step into some of our more budget-friendly options with our next entry to this list – Rose Home Fashion’s room divider curtain. This room divider is made up of polyester and polyester-blend material to create a product that is both functional and affordable.
This machine-washable room divider curtain comes in 5 different colors and 7 different size options, which means most people will find something that suits their needs. It comes with a soft fabric that decently blocks out sound and light to help you create a quieter and more private environment.
That being said, the product itself is slightly thinner and not explicitly made with soundproofing in mind. However, at this price, this product can still offer you decent levels of noise reduction and works just fine if you’re on a tight budget.
9. Wontex Room Divider Curtain
- Package Includes : 1 Room divider curtain panel measuring 8.3ft wide by 7ft tall (100 inch wide by 84 inch tall). Each panel has 14 silver grommets(1.6 inch inner diameter) Fit well with standard or...
- Weighted Blackout Fabric : These divider curtains are crafted from high quality heavy duty Triple Weaved Polyester Fabric. 90%-99% light blocking, thermal insulated, soundproof, Fade-resistant, energy...
- Space Solution : Curtains can be a temporary solution for creating new spaces without building walls. They can be used in Patio Sliding Doors, Large Windows, Shared Bedroom, Workspace, Studio, Dorms,...
Continuing our trend of budget-friendly options is our 8th entry on this list. Wontex’s room divider curtains are made of the standard triple-weave polyester that we’ve come to expect from soundproof room dividers. However, these dividers come at a slightly more budget-friendly price range.
If you’re looking for a way to quickly and conveniently divide your space, then Wontex offers you a simple option that won’t break the bank. With a decent catalog of size and color options, we’re sure that you’ll find something you like here.
10. Versare Room Divider
- ROLLING ROOM PARTITION: The VP6 is a single-panel room partition. This product is sold with 3” non-marking swivel ball bearing casters; it can be used with or without them. The VP6 is a perfect...
- ARRANGEMENT VERSATILITY: These lightweight, easily-transportable room dividers can be stored nestled next to one another to minimize storage space. Roll out one or two to divide space in office...
- FEATURES: Attractive 12oz cotton fabric panels are tensioned between the tubular steel frame. These canvas panels are durable and replaceable. The swivel wheels allow for easy movement. It is also...
If you’re looking for something different then maybe this next option is for you. Our penultimate entry on this list is Versare’s room divider, a high-quality freestanding partition that can be set up anywhere you want.
If curtains just aren’t your thing then this room divider on wheels might just be your cup of tea. Featuring lightweight panels that rotate 360 degrees, these room dividers can be molded into any configuration that suits your specific needs. Their lightweight aluminum frames ensure that they stay stable and durable for years to come.
Versare provides a solid sound dampening option for people who are looking for dividers that are more “wall-like”. These room dividers are perfect for creating partitions in open spaces that you want to break into smaller rooms.
11. Offex Privacy Screen
Please note the Offex Privacy Screen is currently unavailable however a good alternative is the Sorbus Room Divider shown below:
- ROOM DIVIDER SCREEN (8-PANEL, GRAY) — This partition style screen divides your room for privacy or simply to display as a decorative accent
- CREATES PRIVACY — Suitable for dressing privacy, porch privacy, privacy from neighbors on patio — Covers windows, blocks off unsightly items, divides sleeping areas for guests
- VERSATILE USE — Ideal sunscreen, home decor, partition furniture, decor screen panels, patient divider for clinics — Makes room distinctions without real walls — Adds intrigue and defines space...
The Offex privacy screen is a freestanding room divider like the previous entry. However, this is a more affordable option that cuts costs in just the right places.
Instead of being propped up on wheels, this freestanding room divider is stationary. This means that setting them up or transporting them will require a little more effort on your part. Once set up, you can easily connect them to each other using zippers to create a noise-blocking wall.
Offex provides you with a great alternative for curtain-style room dividers. You won’t get the same thermal properties offered by the previous entries, but the sturdiness provided by these dividers more than make up for it.
Why Use Soundproof Room Dividers?
Soundproof room dividers can be set up almost anywhere in your home. They provide you with an amazing level of freedom when choosing the spots that you want to be soundproofed. They also work as temporary walls for splitting up big spaces when you need more specialized rooms.
Another benefit of using soundproof room dividers is that they can be drawn or kept hidden depending on how much you need to reduce noise. For example, they can be installed along the wall of your bedroom that faces the rest of the house.
This means you can keep them open during the day when you need to hear the rest of your housemates and only draw them when you want to focus or sleep.
Things To Look Out For In Your Room Dividers
Unfortunately, choosing the right room divider can be difficult because noise-reducing room dividers don’t always advertise their sound dampening capabilities. The following characteristics are some things you can look out for when choosing a soundproof room divider to install in your own home.
The weight of the divider usually gives you an idea about how thick and dense the material they used is. A heavier room divider often means that it has the density needed to absorb sound and prevent it from leaking through the material.
Perhaps the most important factor, the material used in your room divider will often dictate how well it can reduce the sound that leaks through. The most commonly found material is a thick and well-woven polyester, however materials like suede, velvet, and even thick cotton will work as well. If possible, always feel the thickness and quality of the materials used in your room divider before buying it.
Though not directly related to the sound-dampening qualities of your room divider, the size of your divider is something you should also make sure to take into consideration when choosing one for your home. Make sure the dimensions of your possible room divider is actually appropriate for the space that you want to use it on. A room divider that is too short will do very little to prevent sound from passing around it.
Do Soundproof Room Dividers Really work?
Soundproof room dividers might seem too good to be true, but that isn’t actually the case. They can get the job done and can significantly reduce the noise that might leak into your space.
They work by blocking the pathway that sound waves can usually take. Instead of reflecting the sound, soundproof room dividers absorb the sound.
Just manage your expectations and don’t expect them to completely block out all sounds.
If you’re looking for something which will almost completely block out sound then we recommend you consider a soundproof phone booth.
Living with other people often means having to deal with the noise that comes with them.
This can sometimes leave you with little room to focus or sleep. Fortunately, soundproofing your space can be easily achieved with the help of the right soundproof room divider!
Our handy guide above will give you everything you need to know about choosing the right one for you.
As an Amazon Associate I may earn a small fee from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. This helps us run the site, so thanks for your support!